The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mental Leaps

Both Jack and Nora are making some amazing strides in their mental development. It's been so fun to watch! Jack is now 3 years and 4 months and Nora is 12 months. I love watching them learn and seeing their little brains in action.


Jack: Jack's vocabulary continues to increase, but also does his cause and effect thinking. Whenever I ask him to please do something, his general response of late is to say, "What you gonna do if I don't do it, Mommy?" Now this IS annoying and most of the time I just ask him to repeat my direction (completely ignoring the "what if" part) and he will obey, but sometimes I do respond. I think he's sort of testing boundaries, but I also think he is in part learning about cause and effect...that different responses to situations produce different outcomes and consequences, and I think it's healthy for him to know that there are differences and that he has a choice. I am just trying to be wise about how I answer him.

He is also thinking about and articulating (very VERY well, I might add!) sequence of events! He will tell me that when we go to the store, we will get a buggy, push it around, get a cookie, get our food, pay for it, and then put it in the car! He will often give 4-6 steps in the correct order! It amazes me! This does not just happen with talking about the grocery store, but he will discuss what is going to do after dinner, in play, pretty much in everything! He's quite a little storyteller!

He is also making HUGE connections in language and linking two similar ideas together. This kindergarten teacher is very proud! He may not know all his ABC's yet, but he sure does have some of the "bigger" and higher level thinking skills in place.

He's also had a growth spurt and even though I have not measured him, he is tall enough to reach the bathroom sink without a stool, and that's huge!


Nora: Nora is in the middle of Wonder Week 55, so it stands to reason that she is making a leap in her development. I already knew she could say a lot of words for a 12 month old, but MAN, she is saying more and more each day! Today I put some shoes on her for the first time and she sat down, touched them, and said "shoes"! I was pretty shocked, as I have not tried to teach her that word, but she does see it in her first words book. She also looks outside and says "side" and "Happy" because she knows our dog is out there! I was holding her in the kitchen today and she said, "down", while pointing down. I put her down and she happily crawled off!

I am sure I will forget a few, but here's the current list that I can think of:
up, down, Mommy, Daddy, Happy, Pete (our cat), side (outside), light, baby, eyes, shoes, ball, whee, woah, no (of course!), night-night, -nack (snack), Nano, Papa, cat, bo (beebo or bellybutton, hi, bye-bye, uh-oh, hat, peek-a-boo...and that is all I can remember!

She points to the pantry when she wants a snack and says "Ah-mee", which is her word for "give it to me!". Crazy girl already knows where we keep snacks! She really tested me earlier this week when we got home from our week away and she had pretty much eaten a ton of bread, cheese, and baby food (for convenience) while we were gone. I had to get her back into the table/healthy food groove, and into eating what we were eating. She wanted a snack (the turkey even pointed to the pantry and said "ah-mee!"), she wanted my food, etc. She was pitching a FIT, and I calmly pointed over and over to her tray and told her that that was her food. After a good cry for 10 minutes, she ate her food. Then I gave her some raspberries which are her absolute favorite (where she gets this I don't know since none of the rest of us like them that much!). She ate them and of course asked for more. When I told her she was done with raspberries, she looked down at her raspberry-smeared hands, said "bye-bye" and opened her mouth and bawled. I was hysterical! This girl is SMART. She is totally smart enough to understand that her food is her food and she needs to eat it!

In terms of other development, the "late" crawling, which is not yet a month old, has turned into pulling up, standing, and cruising. At her 1 year visit a week ago, the pediatrician said that she would probably be walking in 1-2 months. I don't doubt it. She can already stand up without holding anything for 3 seconds! It's so cute!

She was 21 lbs and 9 oz at her 1 year visit, and was 30.5 inches tall! That's 3 oz and 1 inch MORE than Jack at this age! Whew!

No comments: