Enter Mimi's Cafe', April 3, 2008. I order a chicken dish with a lovely wine sauce, served on a bed of garlic potatoes with a side of grilled asparagus. I resisted the urge to push it off the chicken with my fork, or better yet, to transfer it to LeGrande's plate, as I often do with food that I either don't like or can't eat. He has this theory that when we go out to eat, we are not going to leave a single morsel of the food we bought on the plate...so if there is any left, he eats it up.
I tried the asparagus. It was AWESOME! I loved it and raved about it all night. And the next day. And probably the next. I looked in cookbooks for recipes that included asparagus and made them. Then, I found a recipe on the Food Network for grilled asparagus. It was simple...and divine. I made it for Father's Day and everyone loved it. All you had to do was wash and trim the stalks, sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and I added a twist of lemon just for a kick. Then you grill it- on medium for a couple of minutes on each side. Delicious! The only problem was that I lost about 10 stalks in the grill :( since I had no idea how to prevent this.
My brother's girlfriend suggested that I purchase a vegetable griller, available at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Last Saturday I took one of their 20% off coupons and headed in search of THIS item.
VOILA!
The ultimate vegetable grilling tray...NOTHING can fall through the little holes and you get perfectly grilled veggies and fish in a few minutes. We have had grilled asparagus for dinner two times this week...but I think it's time to try another veggie before LeGrande puts a stop to my new found craving.
3 comments:
Maybe you will inspire me to try it...I don't like to venture out to new foods too often. Grilled though, just maybe!
Asparagus makes your pee smell weird.
Trust Caroline for a weird fact.
Though I have no doubt she's right.
:-) I had the same experience with asparagus - til I got ahold of some great asparagus on a trip a few years ago. Now it's one of my faves.
Another asparagus option - try steaming it, then toss in olive oil and a bit of parmasan cheese. YUMMY!
Post a Comment