On this day two years ago, October 3, 2006, my sister Caroline gave birth to her firstborn, a son named Wesley Roberts Gilmore. Relationships within the family changed. She and Adam became parents. My parents became grandparents. My brother became an uncle. And I, an aunt.
Before Wesley was born, I knew I would love him. I love babies and I love my sister, so I knew he'd hold a special place in my heart. I loved feeling him kick and move. LeGrande's sister had just had a baby so I knew the joy that a new little one can bring to your family.
I had no idea the love that I would feel for Wesley, this little 7 pound, redheaded child.
My mom and I were at the hospital on the Tuesday that Caroline was in labor. We waited all day and the nurses kept coming in to to the little waiting room to inform us of Caroline's progress. "5 cm...6cm...8cm...9cm...he's almost here...she's pushing...CONGRATULATIONS, the baby is here! You can go see him now." We raced to the room and were taken back with the sight of Caroline, her baby in her arms. It was beautiful. She told us his name, and we marveled at his tiny fingers and toes, his wet hair, which was already obviously red.
I had to return to my town for a previously scheduled parent night at my school that I was heading up, so I only got to hold Wesley's hand, give him a kiss, and wish that there was some way that I could ditch school for him. I drove back to school, on cloud 9.
The next day, I went back to the hospital. My mom and dad had gone home and so I was the only visitor. Caroline was really tired and she fell asleep. I got to hold Wesley for the first time that day, and I just stared at him, falling in love. I will never forget those moments. I told him all about our family, where LeGrande and I lived on the farm, about our dog Happy and about how when he was older, he'd get to come and spend the night with us and play. Some moments I had nothing to say- I was just speechless, staring at him. All I could think was that we shared the same bloodline, the same family, and the same history. I was looking at the continuation of my family line...and at someone who would continue it long beyond my years on earth. A powerful feeling took over me...a love that I had never felt before. I knew that I loved the other little kids in my family, but this baby was my SISTER's baby. There was a bond there that was like no other. I knew that I'd take a bullet for Wesley in a heartbeat, I already loved him that much. And I love him still.
So today, I want to wish my precious nephew a Happy 2nd birthday, and thank him for being born, and making me an aunt... two years ago today. I love you Wesley!
4 comments:
That was so sweet - I'm totally crying. He is precious isn't he? I'm so glad you love him so much. He loves you too! He loved the Elmo card, although he sometimes acts weird when Elmo comes into view. Its funny, I don't know why he does that.
What a beautiful post, this just brought those happy tears to my eyes and reminded me of those precious moments I had with (some) of my nephews when they first came into this world (having 9 in all, couldn't be there for all of them!)...
By the way, I LOVE your dog's name!
Oh that is so sweet Sarah! What a wonderful sister and aunt you are!!!
I'm crying, too...what a beautiful post, for a beautiful boy! :-)
Hugs!
Post a Comment