Jack is nearly 5 months old (one week away) and we've started a few solids with him in the last two weeks. I've gone back and forth on this, since I have food allergies (to all nuts and shellfish) and don't want to instigate those in him. He has a pretty bad case of reflux and the doctor told us that solid foods would probably help this get better since they are not as easy to spit back up. We tried rice cereal a couple of weeks back and he really hated it, so I backed off a bit. Last week I found oatmeal, which a few friends had said their babies liked more than the rice...so we tried it. Success! He really liked the oatmeal and now we're having it at least once a day, but only a very small amount. I am still nursing him on our regular schedule, but there are times after he nurses a LOT, that he still appears hungry. He also reaches for our food and "talks" to us while we are eating, can sit supported, and grabs for the spoon. Since the little guy is also close to 18 lbs, I think he is ready for a little more. He's showing many of the readiness signs.
So far I've tried a couple of other solids with the oatmeal to see if Jack likes them. He gets about a tablespoon full once a day for now. The only food he dislikes are bananas. He LOVES pears and seems pretty cool with squash. I'm hoping to make most of his food but for now have bought a few Earth's Best jars to get myself familiar with the consistency that first foods need to be. I love watching his face while he tries new things.
Occasionally, Jack will try and blow a raspberry with food in his mouth, which is hilarious but not something I want to encourage, so I have to tell him we don't do that while we are eating. Daddy will come in from work and start blowing raspberries to him and this is usually during feeding...so then both guys have to be reminded of no-raspberries-while-we-eat.
As for other things he likes to eat...well, toes are pretty high up on the list. He likes them wet, dry, bare, and covered up. The right foot seems to have the best tasting toes. :)
4 comments:
Sarah,
Jack is such a cutey pie, he looks like a Gerber baby, for real. I am so glad you are enjoying your new "profession," I know your kids at school miss seeing you!
Take Care...I still would love to get together sometime!
Whitney
He is really cute...love him! :-)
I can't wait to see him and his cute little toes again. We'll have to come visit soon and go to the park! Give him lots of kisses for me please!
Sarah,
Oh my goodness! Jack is SO cute. Have fun with those solids! It can be a messy time but at least controlled messy. Once they start feeding themselves, it's a whole different ball game:) I hope to meet him soon.
Post a Comment