The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Monday, February 25, 2008

Asking

I have this devotional that a good friend gave to me in college. It is called Daily Light on the Daily Path. It's one of those books with a page for every day, but unlike most devotionals of it's kind, this one has scripture that focuses around a theme. It's the kind of book that you can read if you have 5 minutes, or you can read the scripture references and end up thinking/journaling on them for a lot longer.

Some days, the entries just stop me right in my tracks...

February 24- Sunday. The references for the day form a lovely paragraph on asking..."Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, he who seeks, finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8) This is the assurance that we have in approaching God; that if we ask anything according to His will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we have asked of Him. (1 John 5:14-15)...a little later on...Open wide your mouth and I will fill it- They should always pray and never give up. (Ps. 81:10, Luke 18:1)

It is true that these are verses that are not necessarily in context, BUT, a theme runs through them that is spoken of by Jesus himself...keep asking...keep asking.

The reason that this entry shook me so is our 17 month struggle with infertility. Month after month of hope followed by repeated disappointment can cause you NOT to ask anymore, or question if you have been heard to begin with. Watching most of your friends share excited news about another baby and attending yet another baby shower that is not yours can leave you feeling overlooked...it can drive you to self pity and bitterness.

Yet in the middle of this, I believe that we are being challenged to continue to ask for whatever God has in store for us...to keep trusting that He really has our best at heart. He's proven that again and again...we've both been in places of longing for a long time before God's plan unfolded.

We'd appreciate it if you would ask for and with us- for open, trusting, and expectant hearts. For continued joy and communication in our marriage and for the treatments that the doctor reccomends for us. For a child.

Thank you for asking.

7 comments:

Laurie said...

Sarah, Definitely still "asking with you." And, I completely identify on the baby shower thing...

Caroline said...

Seestar and LG, you know you are in our prayers, especially since Wesley wants to pray all the time now!

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I found you through Caro. I would be honored to ask with you and for you. Much Love!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

Thanks for the prayers, everyone. This will not be an infertility blog, but since it is such a big part of our lives right now, I appreciate the ability to be honest about it and ask for prayers. Thank you so very much for yours!
Sarah

Sissy said...

Sarah,

After you commented on my blog, I had to come and check out your story. Yes, it is really hard to buy those baby gifts when you really want to take them home and keep them. I can identify!

Heather said...

Sarah,
we too went through the struggle that ended with adoption. if you ever want advice or to talk to an understanding ear I'd love to chat.

919 850-9977
Heather lynch barbour