The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Chapter Closes, A Chapter Opens

Today is my first day of maternity leave. I haven't had baby Jack yet, but since I am due in 8 days, dilating, and showing some other signs of impending labor, my doctor, principal, and I decided that it would be best for me to leave BEFORE things happened, rather than AS it happens. I am sure that most parents would agree that it is best for 6 year olds NOT to witness water breaking or their teacher in labor pains.

Yesterday was surreal. I woke up, drove to school, and taught like it was any normal day. I told my class first thing because I didn't think they needed to be surprised at the end of the day with the news that their teacher was leaving. I'm glad I did, but they were upset all day. I ate lunch with them and cracked up at their stories, enjoying their little personalities and thinking about how much I would miss them.

Finally, the end of the day came...we gathered up on the carpet for a picture on the self-timer on my camera. Two "serious" and two "sillies"...the camera is in the hospital bag in our car so once I pull it out, I'll stick a photo in this post. We said our good-byes and I promised to bring baby Jack in to meet them when he gets a little older- maybe at the end of the year.



Then, the watergates broke. Everyone was hanging in there just fine until one girl started crying- LOUDLY. That did it. Crying is contagious if you are 6. Soon, not just one, but almost everyone was wailing as loud and as mournfully as they could. Even the tough boys. For the most part, it was very real. Other teachers came running to see what was wrong. I hugged, and hugged, and wiped tears, and hugged some more, trying to herd my students towards the buses that were already loaded. You would have thought that I was leading a group of professional mourners in a procession. They were a mess. I was really sad, but held it together for them. I hugged each child again and put them on the buses, then felt tears building up behind my eyes. I went back to my classroom, finished up some work and organizing for my maternity leave sub, and took one last look at my classroom. I still felt like I would be back tomorrow. It just didn't feel real, but it made me sad. On the way home, my watergates broke.

I am thrilled beyond words to have 18 months with Baby Jack. I can't wait to have time with just him- time that I won't ever be able to reclaim. However, this change is huge for me. I'm not a person who has been dying to be a stay-at-home mom ever since they had their first baby doll. I TAUGHT my baby dolls. Every day. Made them worksheets. Brought home discarded textbooks from school so they'd have books. I have loved teaching ever since I can remember. I know I was made for it, and that God blesses my teaching. I enjoy the challenges and the way I structure my time. I enjoy the interaction with the kids and my colleagues. Thinking about being alone at home, way back here in the country away from others for 18 months is scary. God will have to show me a "new normal"...open new doors and new friendships. I know He will. It's a new chapter and a new chance to walk closer with Him.

10 comments:

melanie said...

So sweet how much your students love you...Enjoy your few days of relaxing before Jack arrives!

melanie said...

also, can you believe your counter is down to EIGHT days!?!?!

Laurie said...

I think you are right - there is about to be a 'new normal' - and on the other side, you'll be an even better teacher for it!

Can NOT wait for Baby Jack's arrival....

Caroline said...

Those 18 months will FLY by - you don't believe it now, but you'll see. I can't believe 2 1/2 years has already come and gone since I had the redhead. You will have to find a new normal, but you'll settle into a routine. And you know we can always hang out now that you'll be home!

Sarah said...

Oh Sarah! I am so happy for you as you start this journey! Enjoy these last few days of uninterrupted sleep (you know, except getting up to pee and trying to get comfortable...and all that!) I am so excited for you!

Nan said...

Tears in my eyes! So excited for you! And remember, you are still a teacher, just a teacher to Jack. A teacher of things like how to fall asleep alone, how to be patient, what his colors are and his name, and who is Maker is! There is no greater pleasure! Love you!

Anonymous said...

What a SWEET post! (I can only imagine how Maya would react to her teacher leaving!) A small part of me wishes we still lived up near you so we could visit. I KNOW how it feels to live out in the middle of nowhere with a little one. The days can drag. I mean, they drag anyway when they are so little and you barely sleep! At least you won't have the noise of the city to keep you awake while you nap with the baby!! I can't wait to get the call from Caro and see the first pictures posted!! You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya!
~C

Melissa said...

what a sweet way to leave your class. i love that they let it out with you - what a great picture of what you mean to them.

and i couldn't agree with caro more - it totally FLIES by, and even thought the days feel long at times, these are the most precious and unforgettable moments you'll ever have with that little jack!! can't wait to meet him, and see you as the loving mom you were made to be!!

Whitney Hannam said...

Sarah,
I am so excited for you guys...glad we got to bump into each other at church on Sunday. I know how you felt when I had to leave my class about 2 years ago. I was blessed to stay home for 6 months, but you are so lucky to get to be home for more...savor every moment. Being a parent is such a wild ride with ups and downs...we'll pray more on the up side then down. Praying for you tomorrow!

Whitney

Rhonda said...

You don't have a clue who I am, but I found your blog on Becky Darling's blog. I know how you feel about leaving teaching. I've been a stay-at-home mom for 8 months. I plan on being one for 5 years. But, I long for the classroom. It gets easier with each passing day, but I too taught my dolls. I miss talking about literture with teenagers who are dealing with so much. I miss using my God-given talent to its fullest ability. But, I love my daughter. I love seeing her firsts, and I love knowing that she feels safe, loved, and at home in my arms. I love teaching Kenly. She loves being taught. It is worth everything to stay home. I wish you luck with Baby Jack. You have a virtual friend if you need one.