The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Shapes in the (poo)???

Jack is well on his way to being fully potty-trained! We have worked so hard with him but mostly, HE has worked hard! We started in December, telling him that after Christmas he would no longer peepee in diapers. Up until this point, he had been reluctant to go in the potty when we asked him to. It was obvious that PT was a battle of wills. If he wanted to do it, he would...but if not, he would put up a fuss. So, we drew the line and it worked. Right after Christmas he started going peepee in the potty.

Pooping, however, was a totally different story. We'd ask him to do it, but he would refuse and hold it until roomtime or naptime. At both times I had a diaper on him just in case, and after a few months of cleaning out diapers and the occasional pair of skivvies, I had had it! It was time. Battle of the Poop was on. We told him that after he turned 3, no more pooping in a diaper. We tried sitting him on the potty after every meal to encourage the ebb and flow of nature. No luck. Just screaming. We tried bribes...really REALLY good bribes. No luck. We even made him throw away his beloved pair of James (from Thomas) undies when he messed them. He told us that he was "sad, but not all sad" to do this. He still saved the pooping for nap.

The day after his birthday, we decided to pull out all the stops. NO MORE DIAPERS. Done. He would have to poop either in the potty or in his pants, and we promised less than desirable consequence for the latter. We bought more waterproof mattress pads. We got ready. And he stayed dry! Dry and night and dry at naps! We were shocked! And he pooped on the potty! Yipee! Not every day was an easy day. I'd say it took a week of reminding him that he no longer pooped in a diaper to get him to go in the potty. He got hershey kisses for going, which he loved!

About one week after all of this, Jack pooped on the potty all by himself. He had wanted his "privacy" so I left the room. He squealed that he had pooped so I ran back in. Before I could get to the door, he shouted, "I POOPED, Mommy! A BIG ONE! A SNAKE ONE!" Sure enough, our boy had pooped a "snake" into the potty! Way to go!

This morning, it was poop time again. We're nearly a month in so it's old news now. He almost always forgets the hershey kisses, which is fine by me! He was having his privacy and he called to tell me he had finished. "I did three little poops", he said. He hopped off the potty and peered in. This time instead of a proud smile, he wrinkled his nose. "Oh, this is only dog food", he said. Dog food...hahahaha!

No pictures on this post!

No comments: