The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bicycle Blunders

I love that today is the first day of spring! Welcome! I went for a walk with Happy, our dog, today, to enjoy the fresh air, and LeGrande did a bit of weeding outside our house. It looks great!

While I really enjoy running and walking, last year I decided to try biking as another alternative to my cardio routines. There is a new park adjacent to our land and we can get to it in about a 10 minutes' walk. The park is great...biking trails, hiking trails, horseback trails, a pool (where, incidentally, I worked last summer and after meeting "speedo man" and other interesting characters, I decided that I would not return for a second go), a playground, etc. We love it. Many Sunday afternooons are spent hiking in the woods of the park and walking back home.

Last summer, as a 'gas-saver', I decided to purchase a bike to bike the 3 miles to my pool job, and also for recreation and exercise in the park. The bike was from Target and though it touted that it was a "mountain bike", it did cost less than $100. Little did I know that I had a lot to learn. On my first day as a biker, I strapped on my helmet and set off. The 2 mile road portion was great (all downhill) and once I got into the park, I loved the feeling of biking on trails in the woods. That is, until I messed with the gears a little too much on an uphill climb and the chain broke. I had to wheel the bike to the park entrance and call LeGrande. He came in the truck and picked up me and the bike. He fixed the chain for me and I was back in the saddle.

Take Two: On my first day of work at the pool, I biked there, feeling all cool with my backpack full of lunch, all set for the day. Again, I felt so "green" as I had saved SOO much gas. I arrived at my job and immediately felt "green", but in a different sense. This was Memorial Day weekend, and I think I'd gotten a bug from one of my students...the throw up bug. I knew I was a goner. I called LeGrande again, and he came, with the truck, to pick up me and the bike. So much for saving gas!

Our CR-V became my mode of transportation to the summer job ALL summer. After all, who wants to bike 2 miles when it is 90 degrees and humid? Not me!

Take Three: This fall I decided to try the bike again, when the temps cooled off. I'd be working out all summer at the gym and they'd even gotten this virtual bike which is like a video game. I normally don't like video games, but this bike is addicting. It makes you feel like you are riding a course in the mountains, etc. and the resistance changes as the incline of the land does. Very cool! I now knew I would be able to ride my real bike with no blunders. Off I went, back into the park and the very same woods I'd ridden in before. I knew my bike; knew the gears, and felt confident. I biked about 3 miles into the woods and was ALMOST out of the trail when the familiar snap sounded. Yep, the chain popped again. Again, I walked my bike to the park office and left it, deciding that this time, I was NOT going to call my husband. I hiked the 3 miles back to our house through the park, the woods, and the cornfield. When I arrived, LeGrande and I got into the truck, drove to the park, and picked up the bike. I put it into the shed, where it has remained all winter long. So sad, I know...

Spring has returned and the itch is back...I WANT to ride my bike again...to give it another shot. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to avoid more husband and truck rescues this spring? Anyone know about bikes and know if I can get a stronger chain anywhere? Help is appreciated!

No comments: