The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Move Over, Martha

This has been a great weekend- not because of anything out of the ordinary that I did, but because it feels great to finally feel better. Ahhh...the flu seems to have gone (I think it has hit my sister-poor seestar) and I think that this week I'll be able to hit the gym again. When I miss 2 weeks of the gym, I KNOW something is really wrong with me!


I've been inspired to work on some decorations for a baby shower that I am helping to host on Friday night. Four of us are giving this shower for my friend, Heather, and I am very excited. Heather, if you are reading, you can just exit and wait till Friday night because I am about to show what I made! :)


We decided that since this is Heather's "big" shower in our city, we'd go all out. We have a carefully selected color palate of chocolate brown and eggshell blue. We are using Heather's last initial monogram on the invitations and the napkins. The guests at this shower will be treated to an evening of showering the mommy-to-be and the little boy growing inside, but also eating cake, fruit, veggies & dip, fondue, a cheeseboard, wine, coffee, and more. Yum...I can't wait!



I offered to work on the decorations, and what could be more perfect for an evening shower than candles? Fortunately for thrifty me, I had 30 tea lights left over from our wedding that I was able to doctor up for the shower...want to see? I am very proud that I used something over again!




I AM proud of them. I am not usually a very crafty person, but I was impressed with the outcome. I got the idea from the April 2008 issue of Good Housekeeping, except I used the ribbon for candles instead of a vase, as pictured on the cover. I felt like Martha Stewart, and I think my little creations look very classy and cool! I hope my 3 co-hostesses will think so too.

Mostly, I am excited for my dear friend. Heather and I have both walked through the pain of desiring a baby but having our hopes deferred. She and I have prayed together, talked about all kinds of icky pregnancy/cycle-related stuff that only good friends can discuss without being grossed out, cried together, and dreamed of being pregnant together. When she told me she was pregnant and I was not, our friendship was tested in ways that most friendships never know. It was a test that would drive most friends apart, or at least into shallowness. Through a lot of honest talks where we decided that our friendship was worth the pain and would be a safe place, we both were able express our true feelings-some of which were not pretty. I have been amazed at her love and willingness to walk this path with me through a time in her life when all should be joyful and all friends excited for you. I know that God has done this work, brought us to a deeper place in our friendship and has taught us much about what love really looks like. I am grateful to Him for Heather, and for the work He has done in both of our hearts and friendship. I am sincerely excited to celebrate with her on Friday, as well as in the weeks ahead!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

VERY clever, Sarah. As a fellow, "not crafty" woman, I am impressed! And congrats to Heather, too, on the upcoming "bundle!"