The Sprouts

The Sprouts

Monday, March 3, 2008

What are Issues, Really?

I returned to school today. I was tired and a little weak, but I received an enthusiastic response from my class. They had all written me get well notes. One said. "Do you feel better, Mrs. Iseley? When will you come back? WILL you come back? Check yes or no."

The day went well, but one student, T. (many of you know this kid) who has been 'special' in more ways than one for the past two years (did I mention I am teaching the same kids I taught in K last year? A very special bunch and we are really attached at this point) kept telling another student that she has "issues". This kid is a little behind, and the girl he was talking to is very advanced.

T: You have issues, lots of issues.
A: No, I do not have issues.
Mrs I.'s thoughts: You wanna bet? You cried when I gave you a green pencil to check your math facts quiz with.
T: You have them...lots of issues.
A: NO I DO NOT!!!!! Mrs. Iseley, T. keeps telling me I have issues.
Mrs. I's words: T, what are issues, can you tell me? I want to know.
T: Yes, issues means bumps-on your face...lots of bumps.
A: No they don't, T. Issues means you have problems...lots and lots of problems. I don't have them.
T: Otay, Otay!

This is the same kid who said:

T: Mrs. Isewey, Mrs. Isewey, J. said a cussin' word!
Mrs. I: What did he say?
T: He said the B word. OOOOOHHHHHHH! He did, he did!
Mrs. I's thoughts: Oh my gosh, did he say ***th? I've gotta find out!
Mrs. I: What word did he say? Whisper it in my ear.
T: He said Dang it...like I said, the B word.
Mrs. I: No, T. Dang it begins with a D, not a B, and Dang it is not a cuss word. It's a word that some of you say at home, and it stays at home. It is not for school. Keep that word at home.
Mrs. I.'s thoughts: Better brush up on that whole D versus B thing again...can get you into trouble!

Welcome to Monday, Day 115 of 180, Room 51, First Grade.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Thanks for the laugh. Good to know that I was not alone in the teacher craziness today. (Pretty sure my thoughts from the day might include the kinds of words we say at home, not at school!)

Have a great one!

melanie said...

Glad to hear you are finally feeling better! We missed not having you for dinner....Charlie wants to know when "miss sarah" is coming to our house. By the way...I "tagged" you..check out my blog